Let’s take a fast look at the top 8 most expensive weddings of all time. The bad news is that for some of them money could not buy happiness and they’re already divorced. The good news is… Well, it is at the end of this post.
8. Elizabeth Taylor and Larry Fortensky (a construction worker several years younger than the iconic movie star) got married in 1991, spending $2.5 million ($4 million now). It took place in Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch and the marriage lasted… An impressive 5 years.
7. Liza Minelli and David Gest (a Broadway star, and a music producer) spent $3.5 million in 2002 (or $4.2 inflation adjusted million) in their wedding, having Michael Jackson as a best man, and Elizabeth Taylor as maid of honor. Only the cake cost $40,000, and $700,000 were invested in flowers.
6. The Clintons know how to expend money. Chelsea Clinton and Marc Mezvinsky’s Big Day is in 6th place. Only the air conditioned tents cost was over $600,000 and the 500 guests enjoyed the best food, drinks and service money can buy… And no, as you could guess, Monica Lewinsky was not invited.
5. Wayne Rooney and Coleen McLoughlin spent $8 million on their wedding in 2008. While Wayne Rooney has been perhaps the highest paid footballer ever, the bride was a working-class British girl who started dating Rooney at age 16. The wedding ceremony took place at a century villa and reception at a medieval abbey above Portofino.
4. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s wedding on May 2014 comes in 4th place, with an incredible cost of $18 million. Kim’s wedding dress alone was priced at a “bargain” $2.7 million, and Kanye’s best man was Jay-Z who came with her super famous wife Beyonce.
3. Prince William and Kate Middleton proudly stay on the 3rd place with an estimated cost of $34 million. Only the flowers bill accounted for $800,000 and every single piece of cake was valued in $200 dollars. It was so far the most followed wedding in the Internet and social networks.
2. The second place belongs to Vanisha Mittal and Amit Bhatia’s wedding that accounted for $60 million in 2005 ($66 million adjusted for inflation) and lasted 5 days at a 16th-century chateau in Versailles and a temporary wooden castle. Both families are so rich, that they decided to send the invitations mailed in silver boxes, where plane tickets and 5-stars Paris hotel accommodations were included.
1. The most costly weeding in history: Prince Charles and Lady Diana with a bill of $48 million back then in 1981 ($110 million when adjusted for inflation). The wedding was attended by dozens of royals, more than two million spectators, and a worldwide TV audience of 750 million people.
…And the promised good news is that at you don’t have to expend (or waste) so much money for your Big, Big Day to be a lasting memorable experience. Call us at the Blue Banquet Hall and let’s discuss it.